The return of Scripter...

Hello, I have been busy moving across the country for the past several weeks, and now I am getting back to my writing. I have actually moved to the San Francisco area (the fulfillment of a dream for some time), and have started another blog to chronicle my adventures here. It is called SF Bay Expressions, and contains photos of various things - landscapes, happenings, cultural events, etc. - which I am encountering as I explore the area.

During my journey, I tried not to, but inevitably could not help but ocassionally think of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath, as I was moving across the country to California. The last time I read this book, I was in high school, and though that was long ago, there are certain images and notions burned into my brain because of this novel. Throughout my school years, I had to read quite a few of Steinbeck's books. It started with The Red Pony, which I despised because of the misleading title. The next was The Pearl, then Of Mice and Men, and finally The Grapes of Wrath. Whenever my plans go awry, I think of Steinbeck and the bitter twist with which his stories ended.

During my journey, I re-read Marley and Me by John Grogan. This is a very upbeat story. The first time I read it, it really lifted my spirits and put me in a very good mood (not because of the ending of course). If you have ever owned a dog that was less than perfect, you really must read this book. I love Grogan's writing as well; it is so descriptive and engaging.

I have also recently started reading The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan. It is fast becoming my second favorite Tan book, with The Joy Luck Club being my favorite. What have you been reading recently?

2 comments:

J.M said...

Once I borrowed an old, dusty copy of "The Grapes of Wrath" from the library, dusted it off, put it out in the sun to get rid of the musty smell, and set to reading it, only to meet upon Steinbeck's evocation of the dust bowl! I found it, as well as "The Pearl" a riveting read inspite of the grimness.

J.G. said...

How ironic! What a very appropriate way to begin a Steinbeck novel:)